MahoganyBooks, Light of Life Church, and Jirani Coffeehouse are excited to announce a community summer reading program for the Greater Prince William County area. This programs’ goal is to encourage school-age children and their parents to make reading a primary focus over the months of July and August to help prevent summer learning loss.
Summer learning loss, the phenomenon where young people lose academic skills over the summer, is one of the most significant causes of the achievement gap between lower and higher-income youth and one of the strongest contributors to the high school dropout rate. For many young people, the summer “opportunity gap” contributes to gaps in achievement, employment, and college and career success.
With that end in mind, we are offering the opportunity for area children to win 1 of 9 fantastic prizes if they read at least five (5) books by August 23, 2017. We will also be providing tips, tools, and resources to parents to help empower them to support their children summer reading efforts (see below).
Read below for participation rules & instructions. GOOD LUCK and HAPPY READING!!!
To participate, students must read a minimum of five (5) books this summer for a chance to win 1 of 9 great prizes. For every five (5) books a child reads, they will receive an extra entry into the drawing. Students must be between 5-17 years old by August 1.
Three ways to submit your reading log!
- Pick up your Summer Reading Log at Jirani Coffeehouse (9425 West St., Manassas, VA 20110) anytime or at Light of Life Church (11380 Bulloch Drive, Manassas, VA 20109) on Sundays 10:05 AM, then complete the form and deposit it into their summer reading log drop-off box.
- Download your form at bit.ly/mahoganybooksreads17 and drop it off at either Jirani Coffeehouse or Light of Light Church.
- Click here to complete and submit your reading log electronically.
All forms must be submitted by August 23, 2017.
Parent Tips, Tools, & Resources:
- An article explaining summer slide, its impact on the achievement gap, and tips to raise excited readers.
- More tips to help parents grow enthusiastic readers.
- Book recommendations for young readers. (All children books are 20% off on MahoganyBooks.com)
- Pick up FREE children books from the Jirani Lending Library powered by MahoganyBooks inside of the Bean Box meeting room.
Easy Fun Summer Reads:
|The Playbook||Juneteenth for Mazie||Malika: Warrior Queen 1″|
I live in very small rural town with my 11 niece ejonlodt her mom
We have tried to get her to enjoy reading. I think your books may be the answer.